Full Bridge PWM Motor Driver With DRV8402
Description Of Full Bridge PWM Motor Driver DRV8402
The DRV8402 is a high performance, integrated dual full bridge motor driver with an advanced protection system. Because of the low RDS(on) and intelligent gate drive design, the efficiency of this motor driver can be up to 96%, which enables the use of smaller power supplies and heatsinks, and is a good candidate for energy efficient applications. This device requires two power supplies, one at 12 V for GVDD and VDD, and one up to 50 V for PVDD. The DRV8402 is capable of driving 5 A continuous RMS current and 12 A peak current per full bridge with low idle power dissipation. It can also be used for up to 10 A continuous current and 24 A peak current in parallel full bridge operation.
The DRV8402 can operate at up to 500 kHz switching frequency while still maintains precise control and high efficiency. It also has an innovative protection system integrated on-chip, safeguarding the device against a wide range of fault conditions that could damage the system. These safeguards are short-circuit protection, overcurrent protection, undervoltage protection, and two-stage thermal protection. The DRV8402 has a current-limiting circuit that prevents device shutdown during load transients such as motor start-up. A programmable overcurrent detector allows adjustable current limit and protection level to meet different motor requirements.
The DRV8402 has unique independent supply and ground pins for each half bridge, which makes it possible to provide current measurement through external shunt resistor and support multiple motors with different power supply voltage requirements.
Aplication Diagram Of Full Bridge PWM Motor Driver DRV8402
Features Of Full Bridge PWM Motor Driver DRV8402
- High-Efficiency Power Stage (up to 96%) with Low R DS(on) MOSFETs (80 mΩ at TJ = 25°C)
- Operating Supply Voltage up to 50 V (65 V Absolute Maximum)
- 10 A Continuous Output Current and 24 A Peak Current per Device
- PWM Operating Frequency up to 500 kHz
- Integrated Self-Protection Circuits
- Programmable Cycle-by-Cycle Current Limit Protection
- Independent Supply and Ground Pins for Each Half Bridge
- Intelligent Gate Drive and Cross Conduction Prevention
- No External Snubber or Schottky Diode is Required
- Thermally Enhanced DKD (36-pin PSOP3) Package