Positive Voltage Regulators L78xx
Description Of Positive Voltage Regulators L78xx
The L7800 series of three-terminal positive regulators is available in TO-220 TO-220FP TO-3 and D2PAK packages and several fixed output voltages, making it useful in a wide range of applications. These voltage regulators are monolithic integrated circuits designed as fixed–voltage regulators for a wide variety of applications including local, on–card regulation. These regulators employ internal current limiting, thermal shutdown, and safe–area compensation. With adequate heatsinking they can deliver output currents in excess of 1.0 A. Although designed primarily as a fixed voltage regulator, these devices can be used with external components to obtain adjustable voltages and currents.
Features Of Positive Voltage Regulators L78xx
- Output Current in Excess of 1.0 A
- No External Components Required
- Internal Thermal Overload Protection
- Internal Short Circuit Current Limiting
- Output Transistor Safe–Area Compensation
- Output Voltage Offered in 2% and 4% Tolerance
- Available in Surface Mount D2PAK and Standard 3–Lead Transistor
Standart Circuit Aplication Of Positive Voltage Regulators L78xx
Note : A common ground is required between the input and the output voltages. The input voltage must remain typically 2.0 V above the output voltage even during the low point on the input ripple voltage.
- XX, These two digits of the type number indicate nominal voltage
- Cin is required if regulator is located an appreciable distance from power supply filter.
- CO is not needed for stability; however, it does improve transient response. Values of less than 0.1 mF could cause instability.